Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Introduction

My name is April but I am more recently referred to as A.J. - a nickname given to me by my partner.  I am 33 years old and currently reside in Virginia Beach, VA - Occupation - City Manager of a Photography company in Norfolk, VA.  I am the mother of six children who, due to the combination of divorce and unfortunate circumstances, are not currently living with me.  They are happy, healthy, and safe with family, however, and this I am very grateful for. 

Circumstances being what they are I have been forced to re-evaluate my life, my beliefs, my desires, and my direction.  At first a lot of time and effort went into trying to put myself in a position to care for my children alone after separating from my husband.  The system was involved and I put my everything into doing what I was told and attempted to begin a career after years of being a stay-at-home mom.  When it came down to it, however, I was not able to do what needed to be done (make enough money) in the amount of time I was given to do so.  Instead of helping me achieve that goal the system failed me as I'm sure they do so many others.

So here I am now, a forever changed human being, in search of who I am and where I want to go from here.  I am not content with solidarity and stagnation, I know there is something better out there and am intent on finding it.  In my quest to discover myself I have been honored to meet a wonderful man (Mike), who is my best friend and the love of my life.  We met two years ago and have grown closer with each passing day - I know of nobody else who would understand or be willing to join me on the journey we are about to embark on - nor anyone I would WANT to.

I am now four days away from unemployment and a week and a half away from total freedom - walking away from 'everything' in search of all that has been lost by modern humankind.  This blog has been created to document the journey and spiritual transformation that I know will transpire over the coming months/years of backpacking the country - it is my hope that it will invoke thought, hope, strength, and action in those that take the time to read my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment